पृष्ठ

सोमवार, 31 जनवरी 2022

Concept at the cost of Aesthetics

I speak as a layman, admit my total ignorance, and expect to be educated on the matter. Recently I saw some photographs of a newly constructed university complex, the buildings and the landscape. Two things struck me.

First, the architect's concept has cost both - utility and beauty. The matchbox like buildings with rectangular cuts surrounded by raised earthwork gives these the look of world war II time bunkers. I wish it does not look like this to one who is actually there. The particular case maybe my misjudgement, but the larger point here is that the concepts the architects try to actualise often become incongruous to the principles of architecture, and it confronts its two fundamentals, utility and beauty, as I can think.

Secondly, the occupants of the architectural marvels must have some aesthetes in their ranks, and there should be some training and a manual for them for maintaining such buildings. Such a manual must find a place in the act or bylaws of the institution. What I could see in those photographs was that the newly put signboards had totally disfigured the buildings. The architects often do not realise that their constructions are not meant for one-time photography for some picture postcard but a utility to be used and would need many conveniences fixed later on.

Niraj Kumar Jha

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें